On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 09:54:17AM +0200, Gero wrote in <20200421075417.gv11...@innocircle.com>:
One thing, though: use base36, not base64 - as recommended in [0].
Base64 only saves 4 characters and you don't necessarily need to put all
160 bits of the sha1 into the Message-ID.

Also agreed.

As the standard says, if there is software treating MessageId as
case-insensitive, this shouldn't be exploitet.

I used Base64 in one of my proposed patches as there we can easily re-use the functions already part of Mutt to do this. I note that RFC822 says that the case in the Message-ID should be preserved. Even if there are some non standards conforming software implementations out there, I still think that potential issue would be so small that it can be ignored completely. It becomes a trade off between ease of implementation and saving a few bytes which I don't feel too strong about either way.

Kind regards,

Remco