Hi Vincent,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 07:38:06PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > For hiding our pid etc. all data which can be found in the same email
> > or maybe related emails is of no use for feeding to the hash, because
> > it can easily be inserted as constants in brute-force searchs. Only
> > the random number remains as secret besides the data.
> >
> > We need data which is unrelated to the email but - to be deterministic
> > with regard to other Mutt instances - is equal to all Mutt instances on
> > the same machine (even if generated from different sources - every Mutt
> > developer has a separate "head" version, right? ;-)
>
> I don't understand why you need data that "is equal to all Mutt
> instances on the same machine".

This is necessary to stay on the deterministic track: For this we
require that different Mutt instances use information which differs by
the pid and time/sequence number at some point, which is the data fed to
the hash algorithm.

If we don't want to be deterministic, then I don't see a major advantage
of hash functions compared to random data.

Kind regards,
   Gero