marek jedlinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can I tell mutt to *never* mark messages as read unless I explicitly
> tell it to?

I do the same sort of thing as you.  If your mail is stored locally on
your system, the flags are not updated at all until you sync the folder
(by giving a quit command, or sync-mailbox).  So, if you just want to
skim through the folder a bit, then when you're done, just use the
"exit" command (bound to "x" by default), and the Mutt will exit without
saving the changes.

The only time I've found when this doesn't work is when using IMAP; the
server sees me fetching the message, and marks it read, and Mutt doesn't
even let me turn the New flag back on afterwards.  But then, IMAP is
still in the formative stages.  :)

>   * only mark as read when a command is given by the user
>   * mark a message as read when it's been viewed in the pager for
>     more than X seconds. (Just as an example, I would probably set
>       X to something rather large in fact, like a minute)

These kind of things will require source-code changes.  If you're handy
with C, give it a shot.  :)

> Also, I can't seem to be able to bind a function to Ctrl-arrow key
> combination.

That key-combination doesn't generate anything special in a typical
xterm.  On my system they generate (arrow-key and ctrl-arrow-key) the
exact same escape sequences.  So it doesn't matter if Mutt will let you
bind it or not.  You can't type such a key sequence.  :)

--
David DeSimone   | "The doctrine of human equality reposes on this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  that there is no man really clever who has not