On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 10:42:36PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> Shao Zhang [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
>> But, what about outgoing messages? If I pgp sign a mail to a friend
>> who is using pine as his MUA. When he views the attachment, pine will
>> complain it is an unknown attachment and will ask user whether or not
>> to save it in a file.
>
> This is technically a bug in pine.  If Mutt repeats this bug, we don't make
> any progress.  People using pine should bug the developers to fix it if
> they care about it.  Until then, if you care about making life easier for
> your pine-using friends, you can use macros to produce old style messages
> or find another work around.  Bugs need to be worked around and fixed, not
> supported.

Why do you call a convention that was in use worldwide for several
years and perfectly functional, a bug? And what's wrong with backwards
compatibility? IMO, Mutt is following an elitist path on this issue
which is hurting Mutt and the PGP user community. Let's face it, PGP
is far more important to freedom than Mutt, and intentionally making
PGP harder to use is a serious mistake. If there is any bug involved,
it's Mutt that is buggy for not having the option of being backwards
compatible with a solidly established worldwide convention.

Just my $0.02

-rex
--
"...the very inclusion of the right to keep and bear arms in the Bill
of Rights shows that the framers of the Constitution considered it
   -- Judge Sam R. Cummings in US v Emerson, March 30, 1999