On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 04:18:17PM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On 1999-08-19 09:29:03 -0400, Fairlight wrote:
>
> > Now....I could see it saying that /var/spool/mail/fairlite had no
> > new mail...maybe irc does something when it checks my mailbox.
> > BUT...  -Z should -not- tell me there's no new mail in any of my
> > mailboxes when I have two freshly generated mailboxes with a new
> > message each in them, should it?
>
> This is a known limitation of the way how mutt's new mail detection
> algorithm works.  I'd suggest you set save_empty for your incoming
> mail folders.

I'll probably do that, now that -Z will easily let me check for new mail.
Thanks for clarifying the matter.

If I could be so bold, I -think- I have an algorithm that, if implimented,
would fix the limitations:

.muttncrc - Mutt New Check rc
mailboxname datestamp size
mailboxname datestamp size
...etc

algorithm -
1) If new mailbox determined from .muttrc, add to .muttncrc, current
   timestamp.
      if size > 0 bytes, new mail in mailbox, set size in file
      if 0 bytes or nonexistent, set size 0 in file
2) If entry in .muttncrc already, check timestamp against mailbox
      if same, no new mail
      if newer, procede to size check
         if larger, new mail present
         if smaller, no new mail present
         (both cases), set new size and timestamp
3) Retain current during-run algorithm
      ideally, your algorithm works fine, and timestamps/sizes should be
      set during deletion and arrival phases, because relying strictly on
      startup-state data could potentially be inaccurate.  this could be
      done in memory potentially to minimize overhead, although I've
      noticed mutt not complain about multiple instances running on the
      same folder, so theoretically either a lock condition should persist
      or the timestamp/size should be written at each change in condition.

The current algorithm in place obviously relies strictly on data from point of
binary start.  What appears to be needed to get around these limitations is
the equivalent of a .newsrc, but for time and size, to maintain states
between runs.

I -think- this would work.  I realize this is probably best on the
developers' list, but I'm not really up to becoming a real developer on
it...it's just an idea I'm tossing out.

Even with the limitation if it's not addressed, it still kicks elm's arse.
:)  Thanks!

mark->
--
Fairlight->   |||        [EMAIL PROTECTED]          | Fairlight Consulting
  __/\__      ||| "I'm talking for free...           | http://www.fairlite.com