On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 09:11:17AM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Alex Kapranoff:
>
> I don't have an opinion, and I don't speak Russion, but I'd be
> interested to hear the arguments.
>
> Presumably with a Russian keyboard it is easier to type a Russian
> character than an English/Latin/ASCII one. Is it therefore not

  We have two letters a key - latin and cyrillic. And we have a switch key
(I use Caps Lock - FreeBSD default). I change to Russian only writing
letters to pals - all programming, config editing and mailling lists are
just plain good old English. I like mutt giving me messages in Russian, but
it's more comfortable to speak English to him. English is a winner nowadays,
isn't it?

> inconvenient to have the interface using English/Latin/ASCII chars
> throughout?

  Russian charset koi8-r fits nicely into 256 ASCII table. But to answer
mutt's question about saving a letter in a mbox I have to toggle Caps, press
Russian 'd' for 'da' which is 'yes' and then switch to Latin again ;-((

  In fact I don't know how things are for different national keyboard
traditions so I enetered the list for a discussion.

--
Alex Kapranoff,
Voice: +7(0832)791845,       <--- !!!! Сменился телефон !!!!