On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 10:35:50AM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On 1999-10-26 09:11:39 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > Now comes the 'philosopy' bit, mutt really isn't aware of this sort
> > of situation yet, it expects one 'set folder=<somewhere>' which
> > says where your 'home' mail directory is.  This just isn't
> > realistic when using IMAP the way I do.  Many MUAs are now taking
> > on board the idea that one may have multiple mail accounts and
> > personalities.  I know it would be possible to go some way to
> > accomodating this using mutt's macro and hook capabilities but I
> > think maybe a more direct way of configuring this sort of thing
> > should be thought about now that the IMAP facilities are becoming a
> > significant part of mutt.
>
> Where's your problem with putting the "personality-specific" stuff
> in various muttrc files and sourcing them by pressing appropriate
> keys, or by using appropriate hooks?

Maybe I don't have a problem with doing this, I'm fishing for ideas on
how to approach the problem as well as saying this is going to become
a more common situation. There are some things I think don't work too
well with this approach though:-

    What heppens if I have, say, a local message or folder directory
    displayed and I press the key to switch my personality to a remote
    IMAP server?

    Also, it's nicer to be able to navigate from local to remote and back
    without having to have special commands.  One approach to this is
    a hierarchy of virtual folders which one can navigate, each folder
    having a personality which indicates where it is stored and (maybe)
    user characteristics.

    Connected with the above point the 'key to switch personality'
    approach would make it difficult to save/copy messages from local
    to remote or vice versa.  One of the major reasons for running
    with IMAP for me is that I can quickly copy an 'important' message
    from my local mail to a folder on the IMAP server.

As I said I'm looking for ideas and ways to handle what I want to do
with IMAP, this may suggest changes to mutt or it may simply mean that
I find ways of doing what I want with mutt's existing facilities.

--
Chris Green ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]