I wrote:

> > So, first thing what I need is to set charset properly
> > (koi8-r instead of iso8869-1).
> >
> > Then I've a question: does mutt deduce charset from locale or doesn't?
> > If does, can somebody fix this problem?
>
> As I understand it, mutt does not deduce the charset; you have to set
> it in your .muttrc or by hand. This is quite easy to do, however,
> should you wish to modify your mutt so that it gets the charset
> automatically from the environment variables LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and
> LANG, here is some code to do it:
>
> ftp://ftp.ilog.fr/pub/Users/haible/utf8/locale_charset.c
>
> But I would just put "set charset=koi8-r" in .muttrc ...

Would it be a good idea to borrow this code, or something like it, in
mutt and get mutt to issue a warning if the value of the charset
variable seems incompatible with the locale as deduced from the
environment variables? Or is there a better way of doing this, seeing
as mutt does do a setlocale (LC_CTYPE, "")?

Edmund