1999-11-12-09:12:52 Rich Lafferty:
> I've realized lately that I see an awful lot of "WARNING: Can't find
> the right public key-- can't check signature integrity" on
> mutt-users. :-) Is there a mutt public keyring out there anywhere?

By one of those totally whizzo coincidences, the same question drove me to
solve this one for myself quite recently. I'm using mutt-1.0i on Linux, along
with GnuPG 1.0. I have the following pgp-related variables in my .muttrc:

        set pgp_default_version=gpg
        set pgp_autosign
        set pgp_sign_as="CE34B136"
        unset pgp_strict_enc
        set pgp_timeout=3600

along with a few pgp-hooks for frequent correspondents. I tried jacking the
pgp_timeout up higher, but couldn't make it work. I also tried diking it out
entirely, but the most trivial patch I tried didn't work, the resulting mutt
never asked for a passphrase in the first place:-(.

So anyway, on to your question with keys, the following in my .gnupg/options
seems to have done the trick:

        keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net

Another one that may or may not improve the odds of gpg's swallowing more keys
is

        allow-non-selfsigned-uid

I have that, I don't know whether it's making my life any happier or not. Then
I added

        encrypt-to 9BD503BF

(that's my encrypting key id) so that I would be able to read my file copies
of things I send encrypted.

And if you want to increase your odds of things working some more, you might
need to score some of the extensions for other crypto algorithms; they aren't
widely advertised, but they're in a contrib directory on the gnupg ftp site,
and they are easy to install. Of course, the reason they are left out of the
gnupg distribution is because they are encumbered by patent, so depending on
where you are and what you use gnupg for, in principle it might be a patent
violation for you to use some of the extensions.

-Bennett

P.S. when I first looked at your note, mutt painted this up at the top:

[-- PGP output follows (current time: Fri Nov 12 16:07:37 1999) --]
gpg: Signature made Fri 12 Nov 1999 09:12:50 AM EST using RSA key ID 2FA1A061
gpg: requesting key 2FA1A061 from wwwkeys.pgp.net ...
gpg: key 2FA1A061: public key imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
gpg: Good signature from "Rich Lafferty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
gpg: Fingerprint: 30 FB 8F 6D 74 2E 99 18  B3 39 61 CB 0A 5E 7F 69
[-- End of PGP output --]

PGP signature