On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 01:42:00PM +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 12:56:31PM +0000 or thereabouts, John P . Looney wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 11:37:07AM +0000, Telsa Gwynne mentioned:
> > > or xterms. Sorry. However, I can imagine the effects as I once managed
> > > to get both lynx and mutt apparently attempting to run in the same
> > > gnome-terminal. I think I may still have a screenshot of the resulting
> >
> >  I've done this loads of times. It's really wierd. I think I tryed to quit
> > out of lynx, but hit the wrong key, and then, depending on how many times I
> > pressed Ctrl-L, it looked like lynx or mutt. Must try track down what's
> > happening the next time I get a HTML mail..

[...]
> I think I either:
>       messed up with urlview
>       shelled out of lynx into mutt
>       shelled out of mutt into lynx

When I try to run lynx from inside Midnight Commander (the tty version,
not gmc) from inside Gnome Terminal, I often get this weird behavior.
If I just type lynx foobar from the command line it works nicely,
however if I hit Enter on a .html file (and thus run... hey, why does it
say `(lynx %f &)' in the mc.ext file?), both programs try to update the
screen simultaneously and both struggle for keystrokes.

The ampersand sure looks suspicious.  (Note, that both lynx and mc are
compiled with slang.  But vim uses ncurses, so perhaps that's not
relevant.)  I also tried the same trick in plain console, and lynx was
then properly `stopped (tty input)'.

Mutt seems to be innocent.  Its more likely a problem in xterm (not
suspending background tasks).

Best Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
MCSE == Must Consult Someone Experienced