On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 04:26:51PM -0600, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> Chris Green [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> > The one thing that I would like (and I think some other people would
> > like) is a means to interactively decide what to do with mail in a
> > POP3 mailbox.  Fetchmail can't do this, the interactive requirement
> > puts the facility squarely into the MUA I'm afraid.
>
> Chris, have you tried out Poppy?
>
>    http://home.sprynet.com/~cbagwell/projects.html

No, thanks for the pointer, it sounds quite useful but it's not the
ideal solution for a couple of reasons:-

1 - I'd have to run two programs rather than one to handle my mail.
    Both programs would being showing me some of the same information
    (mail headers) and the two programs are entirely independent,
    there's no way of running one from the other or passing
    information between them.

2 - Poppy still doesn't give the interaction I want, OK for some mail
    messages I can deduce whether I want to download/delete/keep from
    the Subject: and the size but this is not the case for most mail
    messages.  I need to see the content of the message before I can
    decide its fate, thus means an MUA.

    This sort of interaction *is* quite possible, as I've said other
    MUAs (mostly Unix ones it must be said) do already provide this
    sort of approach to handling POP3 mailboxes.  It's not perfect by
    any means due to the limitations (and variations) in POP3 servers
    but for me (because of reading mail from many places) it's far
    better than any other approach I've seen.

--
Chris Green ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]