On Wed 03.0500-17:49, Stefan Bender wrote:
> Yeah, some people also told this but I wondered how does procmail
> move the mails without having privileges? To clarify it: At my
> University they installed mutt (kindly) but there I cannot move nor
> delete mails from /var/something/mail/$user, because mutt_dotlock
> doesn't have privileges as it should. And I didn't ask the sysadmin
> there to install it the right way (maybe I will sometime). And there I
> have no procmail :( so I wondered how it would behave, if I would
> install it in ~/bin, maybe I try sometime :).

goes like this:  procmail starts out suid root/ gid mail (whatever can
access the spools and perform locks), but when running recipes it resets
privs to the owner of the current recipe.

> I never heard about it but it sounds interesting.
> Learn your computer where it should put your mails. :-)

7^)  jason rennie is one o' dem .ai.mit.edu guys.  ifile reads a message
and counts the words.  when told which categorie the message should go, it
updates the following data for each incoming message:  for each word, which
categorie had it how many times.  it also counts the number of documents
that went into a specific categorie.  when the next document arrives and
you query the database, it again makes a frequency table and matches it
with the data accumulated so far.  it can then output a table of scores
ranging from the best matching categorie down to the worst match.  it's fun
to play with.  i've got a spam folder, but i don't keep many samples there.
many a times have i been amused by the scores perfectly "normal" files get
and when ifile considers putting them into =spam...  which doesn't happen
all that often:  people talk about 85% accuracy, which i can't comment on:
i trained ifile for two weeks now and if i query it, it never gets it
wrong.  the database contains around 160 words per categorie, and with the
reduced vocab peops use - especially dem computer kinks - ifile can do a
decent job.  there's [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] .  he
even answers his mail.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]