On my home machine I finally got my mutt and qmail working
(and messages looking) right by adding the QMAILUSER, QMAILHOST,
and QMAILNAME variables to my ~/.bashrc.  (Don't forget to EXPORT
these variables.)  These settings will (AFAIK) override any settings in
your ~/.muttrc.  Check out more in Dave Sill's "Life with qmail"
(http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html), section 4.3.

HTH, George