Dennis --

...and then Dennis Robertson said...
% Hello,
% Before I give up and retire hurt to netscape can anyone tell me in words

*gasp*

% of one syllable how to create mailboxes that work.  I get the message

The simplest way to create a mailbox is to touch the file into existence.
Of course, it's empty and there's no mail so mutt can't really do
anything with it, but it's there.

The second-simplest way is to save a message from your $spoolfile right
from mutt.  This will create a mailbox of whatever type is specified in
$mbox_type (default is mbox, but also MH, MMDF, and Maildir).

You could always create a mailbox with Netscape and then use that with
mutt, as I understand it; I believe that Netscape uses mbox files.

% from mutt that every one of the "mailboxes" I have designated is not a

How did you "designate" them?  Simply saying

  mailboxes =A =B =C

is not enough to create them.  Do they really exist?  If you're using
shorthand as above, is $folder set correctly?  To find out, check from
*within* mutt since some unnoticed muttrc file may have changed it; when
in the index, just type

  :set ?folder

and hit return and see what it says.  BTW, you can check any variable's
setting this way (replacing in the proper variable name, of course ;-)
and you might check the value of mbox_type while you're looking around.

% mailbox, even though I can see that procmail has delivered to them.  I
% have read the manual at 3.11 and am none the wiser.

And how do you know that procmail delivered to them?  In what format
(mbox, MH, MMDF, Maildir)?  Is it a single file, or is it a directory
with cur new tmp subdirs?  If it's a single file, open it with an editor;
how does it look?

% Thanks.

HTH & HAND

% --
% Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street  NOOSAVILLE  QLD  4566  AUSTRALIA
% Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mobile: 0419 535539  Fax: Phone for setup.

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature