Marius, et al --

...and then Marius Gedminas said...
% Isn't it strange, that Mutt does not do SMTP in order to simplify things
% and avoid duplication of functionality, while fetchmail uses SMTP for
% mail delivery in order to simplify things and avoid duplication of
% functionality?

Not really.  mutt's only job is reading your mail and composing your
replies; something like sendmail or fetchmail gets it for you to read, and
something like sendmail or ssmtp sends off your replies.  Regardless of
all of the bells and whistles, like POP support, that have been added
to mutt, it really just boils down to reading and writing email.  It's a
feature, though, that mutt lets you choose how you are going to send your
mail; after all, you could write a simple shell script that talks to port
25 if that's all you really wanted to do.

As I understand fetchmail, its primary job is getting mail from other
servers (location) to yours.  Since that mail still has to be delivered
at the local end, it makes sense for fetchmail to hand it off to an
MTA, and that's all it's doing.  Since that is *all* it has to do,
it is easier to hand it to port 25 (a known constant) than to have
configuration options for the various MTAs out there.

The mutt equivalent of fetchmail talking to SMTP would be mutt talking to
port 25 only on your machine, and therefore only after you had set up an
MTA already.

%
% Marius Gedminas
% --
% We don't care.  We don't have to.  We're the Phone Company.

Ain't that the truth! :-)

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature