On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 10:48:38PM -0600, Vincent Danen wrote:
> I've finally taken the plunge and put qmail on my personal system after
> having used it on my server forever.  I've got a rather strange mix
> here and some odd errors...

Cool!

As others have noted, you can deliver to Maildirs directly from
procmail. The suggestions I've seen simply make the default delivery go
to your spool, which is a Maildir (named Maildir).

As another option, you can make each of your mailing lists use a Maildir
for delivery. I do this and am quite happy with procmail and Mutt's
behavior. The clue for procmail is that the delivery instruction needs
to end with a '/' (no quotes).

I have a $HOME/Mail directory with a number of Maildir subdirectories,
such as Mutt-Users, Inbox, etc. to which procmail directs the incoming
mail. The qmail command 'maildirmake' will create these for you. The 'c'
command in Mutt works perfectly, taking me to Maildirs with new mail and
correctly marking the New messages.

The value of this is that using a simple bash or perl script run once
weekly from cron, you can move all files older than a certain date
(since each email is in a separate file) to an temporary directory, tar
and gzip or [insert your favorite archiver here] and archive these
things. If you want to get a little fancier, each time the script runs
it can update a master archive file, either per list or 1 gigantic
thing. The file-oriented nature of Maildirs makes this trivial.

Just another example of qmail/procmail/Mutt flexibility...

Tim
--
Tim Legant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]