On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 01:47:06AM +0300, Mikko Hänninen wrote:
> Brian Salter-Duke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Thu, 26 Oct 2000:
> > I am not sure whether I am doing something the right way, but I have
> > come up against a wall. In the attach menu after saving the message, I
> > want to modify the message considerably by piping it to a script. The
> > modifications are such that they can not be done in situ. I have to
> > create another temporary file. The question is this - how do I replace
> > the original temporary file in the tmp directory by the new one so I can
> > then send the new file rather than the original?
>
> What's wrong with using the filter-entry function from the compose menu
> (bound to F by default, apparently)?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "in situ", but if you can
> explain why "filter-entry" isn't enough for you, well maybe we can go
> from there. :-)  As far as I know, there is no actual way to get the
> temporary filename of the attachement.

It is not the attachment I want to filter and F is filter-entry for the
attachment. I want to alter the message itself. In fact I do not have
and think I can not have an attachment for this application.

Let me explain what I am trying to do. Perhaps I should have made this
clear earlier. I am trying to automate sending messages anonymously to
type I remailers. Here the headers point the mail to the remailer. The
message contains other headers such as:-

::
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I can handle this OK with hooks etc. You can send this to the remailer
in clear and all is well. However many remailers want the message to be
encrypted and armored. We want a message looking like:-

::
Encrypted: PGP

PGP encrypted/armored block

I can pipe the message into a script that creates this. I need to put it
back in the message file. By "in situ" I meant I could not do it like an
atomatic edit.

So, I guess I do need a filter, but does one exist?

Cheers, Brian.

--
Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chemistry, School of BECS, SITE, NT University, Darwin, NT 0909, Australia.