On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 01:13:14PM -0500, Timberwolf wrote:
> Daniel:
>
> Where is the standard for line wrapping limits set? Is that in an
> RFC? If so, can you point me to the RFC that lays out the proper
> form for outbound message character wrapping.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - -Timberwolf

Please see RFC 1855 for "netiquette" guidelines, which include this:

        Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
        with a carriage return.

There are also technical reasons mentioned in various RFCs.  RFC 821 --
according to an URL mentioned below -- in section 4.5.3 outlines a
maximum size for text lines: 1000 characters including CRLF.  According
to that RFC and several others related to MIME, some MTAs will wrap
lines of certain content types, if the lines excedes 76 characters (this
is considered bad practice, but something which must be guarded
against).

Here's an url which explains the reasons this is considered good
practice:

        http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html

cheers --

Ed