On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 12:13:09PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Yes, you could -- file type detection works either by filename extension
> or, if that fails, by examining the first line or the first few lines in
> the text.  I use that feature for source code editing ...
> But that seems like more indirection than is useful...

I just use this in my ~/.vimrc instead of relying on vim's file type
detection (mainly because I didn't understand file type detection and I
knew how to do this):

    au BufNewFile,BufRead,BufEnter /tmp/mutt-*      set expandtab

(I have tw=72 set elsewhere.)

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | RF Communications Product Generation Unit