Hi Dave!
On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Dave Murray wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 01:25:00PM +1100, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any way to configure mutt to send mail through a non-local SMTP
> > server?
> >
> > Yes, I've read the FAQ entry saying "this ain't mutt's job", but.. all mutt
> > does is send mail to *some* SMTP server. Why must that be localhost:25, instead
> > of anotherhost:25? I'm not asking mutt to do the job of a MTA; I just want it to
> > talk to the MTA of my choice.
> >
> > I'd appreciate it if someone could explain the error in my thinking.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > --Jeff
>
> I just went round and round with this one as a recent convert to mutt.  I
> had been using KMail which has it's own setup, and seems to not use
> sendmail.  I got the POP3 working in mutt because it's part of the setup.
> The SMPT server is not.  I pointed mutt at sendmail, it worked locally (bozo
> to root, etc) but not on the Internet via my modem.  If this sounds like
> your story, check the setup of your sendmail, specifically DNS.  The number
> is supplied by your ISP in the format of 987.654.32.1  Now I'm a happy
> camper except for PGP, my next post.

that was my wonder too (firewall cutting qmail enthusiasm) and the solution
was a line like
:<smtp-relay-host-ip>
in the file /var/qmail/control/smtproutes.

For sendmail I recall it to be sort of the same (smtp:<relay-host>) but don't
recall the actual configuration file name.

To avoid running a MTA permanently you can start it from inetd. It's better
to let it handle the sending, as it should.

[lame-and-lazy-request]
anyone using maildrop can share a rules file?

ciao

-- teodor