On 2001-05-16 15:24:24 -0400, Brendan Cully wrote:

>what would be cool is if you could say
>sendmail='securesendmail -u $smtp_user -p $smtp_pass'

>ie mutt exposes its config variables, and reevaluates them when
>running the command. But I haven't thought about how to do that,
>it's certainly invasive and probably would make the config engine
>less efficient.

Passing passwords on the command line means exposing them to other
users on the system running ps.  Storing them in mode 600 files is
certainly more secure.

(Implementation-wise, this would just boil down to yet another
format expansion, with the slight problem that sendmail is currently
invoked differently from all other child processes: We pass command
line parameters in an argv[] array instead of producing a string
which is sent to the shell.)

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/