Well, I'm afraid I don't have any such entry in my termcap file.  I do,
however, have this one:

xterm-color|xterm-co|xterm with ANSI colors:\
        :pa#64:Co#8:AF=\E[3%dm:AB=\E[4%dm:op=\E[39;49m:tc=xterm:

This implies to me that xterm-color _is_ a valid setting.  When I try
setting TERM="xterm-xfree86" or just xterm-xfree86, I get the
following:

Error opening terminal: xterm-xfree86.

Which implies that xterm-xfree86 is an invalid setting for the TERM
variable.

To quote the man xterm:

       Termcap(5) entries that work with xterm include
       ``xterm,'' ``vt102,'' ``vt100'' and  ``ansi,''  and  xterm
       automatically  searches the termcap file in this order for
       these entries and then sets the ``TERM'' and  the  ``TERM-
       CAP''  environment variables.

and:

-tn name
               This option specifies the  name  of  the  terminal
               type  to  be set in the TERM environment variable.
               This terminal type must exist  in  the  termcap(5)
               database and should have li# and co# entries.

So . . .

What am I to do?  If xterm-color works and xterm-xfree86 does not, why
shouldn't I use xterm-color?  I know why I shouldn't use xterm-xfree86
- it just won't work :)

BTW, the info I have included here applies to my FreeBSD system.
I still get color with TERM=xterm on Mandrake - which does have the
xterm-xfree86 entry.  I suspect this whole thing really just boils
down to whats in the termcap.

In search of enlightenment . . .

On 07/18/01 12:32 PM, Thomas E. Dickey sat at the `puter and typed:

--
Louis LeBlanc       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Matz's Law:
  A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.