On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:30:06PM -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:21:24PM -0400, Ed Robitaille wrote:
> > Ed Robitaille wrote>
> > > In order to turn on color in xterm enter the
> > > following line in ~/.Xdefaults
> > >
> > > *customization: -color
> > >
> > > This will turn on color in all apps that use color in an xterm window.
>
> However I'm pretty sure that color ls in freebsd only works with xterm-color
> (as far as the various xterm termcaps go).  I am pretty sure the person who
> sent the original message was using freebsd.  I use xterm as my termcap on

xterm-xf86-v32 is in their termcap (but ncurses 5.0 is in freebsd-current,
and that has a more recent version of terminfo from which the termcap
entry for xterm-xfree86 should be obtainable).  For whatever reason,
the FreeBSD people don't seem inclined to maintain their termcap file
(it's one of those things I see on the longstanding bugs/issues lists).

it also contains "xterm-color", but it neither matches the one in ncurses,
nor is it complete or correct (it uses SGR 39 for 'op' without using 'ut').

the best I could say of that, is that it "happens to work" if you don't look
too closely.

> Linux machines (even if I'm connecting from my workstations which are both
> freebsd) but i use xterm-color in freebsd.  does anyone know for sure that
> you can get the xterm-xfree86 termcap working on *bsd and that color ls still
> works with it?

Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com