As far as GUI programs go, xbuffy is great (and doesn't have a problem
with unread messages that aren't new.)  It surely wouldn't be too hard
to write a curses or even simply text front end to its mailbox code
(which is the hard part.)  Note that I'm not volunteering to do this,
though.

-Daniel

--
Daniel E. Eisenbud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We should go forth on the shortest walk perchance, in the spirit of
undying adventure, never to return,--prepared to send back our embalmed
hearts only as relics to our desolate kingdoms."
                                        --Henry David Thoreau, "Walking"