On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:54:42 -0500 (EST)
> > From: "Thomas E. Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: Roman Neuhauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: color

> > >     just xterm.
> >
> > "xterm" is usually the same as "xterm-r6" (no color).
> >
> > (but "xterm-color" isn't correct - would be nice if FreeBSD installed the
> > correct termcap entries so this wasn't something I had to point out
> > periodically).
>
>     I don't say it's correct. I _don't_ know the correct value. I've seen
>     this suggested on freebsd-questions@, and it works. But if you tell me
>     the correct value, I'll be happy to change the setting.

Usually (except of course the suggestions which are secondhand or worse)
the suggestion is based on the fact that FreeBSD doesn't install a termcap
entry for anything more appropriate.

There is a termcap file distributed with rxvt and one with XFree86 xterm.
I'd start with those (preferring "rxvt" and "xterm-xfree86").  FreeBSD
uses a compiled database for termcap, iirc under /usr/share/misc.  Edit
(save the original of course) the termcap file, putting the new entries at
the beginning.  Recompile the termcap database (I don't recall the name of
the command - something like make_capdb - there is a manpage for it).

There is also a better termcap file here (but doesn't necessarily include
a few of the specialized console types for FreeBSD):

ftp://invisible-island.net/ncurses/termcap.src.gz

--
T.E.Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://invisible-island.net