> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:20:53 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Thomas E. Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Roman Neuhauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: color
>
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>
> > > Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:54:42 -0500 (EST)
> > > From: "Thomas E. Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > To: Roman Neuhauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Subject: Re: color

> > > "xterm" is usually the same as "xterm-r6" (no color).
> > >
> > > (but "xterm-color" isn't correct - would be nice if FreeBSD installed the
> > > correct termcap entries so this wasn't something I had to point out
> > > periodically).
> >
> >     I don't say it's correct. I _don't_ know the correct value. I've seen
> >     this suggested on freebsd-questions@, and it works. But if you tell me
> >     the correct value, I'll be happy to change the setting.
>
> Usually (except of course the suggestions which are secondhand or worse)
> the suggestion is based on the fact that FreeBSD doesn't install a termcap
> entry for anything more appropriate.
>
> There is a termcap file distributed with rxvt and one with XFree86 xterm.
> I'd start with those (preferring "rxvt" and "xterm-xfree86").  FreeBSD
> uses a compiled database for termcap, iirc under /usr/share/misc.  Edit
> (save the original of course) the termcap file, putting the new entries at
> the beginning.  Recompile the termcap database (I don't recall the name of
> the command - something like make_capdb - there is a manpage for it).
>
> There is also a better termcap file here (but doesn't necessarily include
> a few of the specialized console types for FreeBSD):
>
> ftp://invisible-island.net/ncurses/termcap.src.gz

    Hi Thomas,

    thank you for your answer. I don't know if it means anything, but my
    termcap already contained a rxvt entry, with a comment that it's taken
    from the rxvt-2.6.3 sources, which is what I use. I rebuilt the database
    just to be sure, commented out the rxvt.termName line in my .Xdefaults
    file, and opened a new terminal window (rxvt):

    roman@roman ~ > grep termName .Xdefaults
    ! rxvt.termName: xterm-color
    roman@roman ~ > echo $TERM
    xterm

    Next, I put the two rxvt entries (rxvt-basic and rxvt) from
    termcap.src.gz in my /usr/share/misc/termcap, and got these two
    messages upon issuing cap_mkdb:

    cap_mkdb: record not tc expanded: rxvt|rxvt terminal emulator (X
     Window System)
    cap_mkdb: record not tc expanded: rxvt|rxvt terminal emulator (X
     Window System)

    Whassup?

    Besides, termcap.src.gz says 'rxvt is normally configured to look for
    "xterm" or "xterm-color" as $TERM. Since rxvt is not really compatible
    with xterm, it should be configured as "rxvt" (monochrome) and
    "rxvt-color"'. What does that mean for me?

    Thank you for your patience.

    Roman

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
12:26PM up 9 days, 23:09, 15 users, load averages: 0.71, 0.65, 0.57