* Nick Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [08-01-2002 16:51]:

| > Wouldn't Mutt actually ignore $EDITOR if $VISUAL is set?
| >
| > Nick, it's probably a good idea to set VISUAL=vim, anyway, since
| > many other applications will then know what editor you prefer.
|
| Sounds fine to me Sam, I don't know what VISUAL is though?
| I presume it's a config var, I'll go look it up on the manual.
| Is that why I sometimes see headers with X-editor: Vim?

$EDITOR and $VISUAL are environment variables. Programmes read them,
and use values that are set. Try and type 'set' at a shell prompt.

They are usually set system wide in /etc/profile, and per user, if you
use bash (you probably will) in ~/.bash_profile. Check it out!

| How will other apps know what I prefer if this is a mutt thing?

Through environment variables ;)

--
René Clerc                      - ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Beware how you take away hope from another human being.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes