Nick Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Sounds fine to me Sam, I don't know what VISUAL is though?
> I presume it's a config var, I'll go look it up on the manual.

Sorry, I think I was unclear: VISUAL is an environment variable.
It isn't Mutt-specific.  You might want to look at the
documentation for your shell for more information.

If you use bash, putting

export VISUAL=vim

in your .bash_profile or .bashrc should set the variable for
future sessions.

info bash

will show take you to the bash documentation.

(I'm guessing you use bash since it's the default shell in most
GNU/Linux distributions.)

If you have VISUAL set in your environment, you shouldn't need to
set the Mutt "editor" variable, although it certainly doesn't hurt
to do so.

> Is that why I sometimes see headers with X-editor: Vim?

No, that's actually an extra header people add because they want
others to know they use Vim.

Sam