On 2002.01.13, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "David T-G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't necessarily agree that mutt should spit out a message, though I
> can see that this could be confusing.  What I would do would be to go
> % Feedback is an important element of any user interface, GUI or
> % text-based, UNIX or not.
>
> Yes, but so is providing only the right amount, rather than too much or
> too little.

Consider running mutt on a remote server that you're connected to over a
slow or high-latency line, or one prone to dropping link. You press 'i';
did [ia]spell complete with no errors, or has it not run yet? It might
be hard to tell: if the link is indeed slow, it can take more time yet
to get a response to other activity, and instigating this activity just
to check the status of ispell is a larger waste of precious bandwidth
than a mere "No spelling errors found" message.

The key here is usability. Adherence to the so-called "Unix philosophy"
is false if it makes the tool in question less usable.

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago