On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:15:27PM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:09:09PM -0500, Joel Hammer wrote:

> > Is there a way to run a shell script which would automatically read in
> > the current contents of the clipboard, thus avoiding the need for the
> > mouse click?
>
> I used to have a program that did this on an earlier version of HP-UX,
> so it is possible.  It just echoed the clipboard contents to stdout.  I
> don't think I have it any more, though, so you might see if freshmeat
> has one.

Eureka!  Check out http://freshmeat.net/projects/xclip/:

    xclip is a command line utility that is designed to run on any
    system with an X11 implementation. It provides an interface to X
    selections ("the clipboard") from the command line. It can read data
    from standard in or a file and place it in an X selection for
    pasting into other X applications. xclip can also print an X
    selection to standard out, which can then be redirected to a file or
    another program.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but it looks like it should do exactly
what you want.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   | Spokane, Washington, USA