Just to throw a little fuel on the fire:

Look in the Sun training catalog, at how they define the products
themselves.

"Solaris 8 Operating Environment".

Look at their web page:

http://www.sun.com/solaris/

They call it the same thing.  Then do a uname -a on a Solaris 8 system:

SunOS chtsjs01 5.8 Generic_108528-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

SunOS 5.8 is a component of the Solaris operating environment.  Guess
what OS stands for?  SunOS 5.8 is the KERNEL, not the operating
environment.  If they were so inclined and appropriately licensed, Debian
could do a distribution with the SunOS kernel, just like they do with
the Hurd.  Hurd is an OS kernel; Debian is a distribution.  SunOS is
an OS kernel; Solaris is an Operating Environment, I.E. a distribution.
Linux is an OS kernel; Debian is a distribution, I.E. an operating
environment.

The parallels aren't a concidence, that's how you build a working system
out of an OS.

Things like "ps" and "bash" aren't part of the OS, even if you personally
can't get any use out of the system without them.  It is possible to
build a system with nothing but a Linux OS and no filesystems, that
accomplishes useful work.  The other bits make it more useful, but are
not required.

This isn't my opinion, this is basic computer science.  What are they
teaching you kids in those schools these days?