On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 10:16:13PM -0700, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
> Alas! Rocco Rutte spake thus:
> > In Germany there's a campaign running to connect every school to the
> > internet. IIRC, Microsoft and Compaq are involved by contributing
> > hardware and software for free/for low price. So what to expect?
>
> Yuck. It's bad enough that MS practically owns all the schools in NA.
>
> > In Computer Science I spent two terms on creating a website on something
> > dealing with new media (okay, surfing all the time and hacking it
> > together in 1/2 day before deadline). Others students have to write web
> > pages with Word and do some 'office' with Works. Again: what to expect?
>
> Computer Science? You mean, university level computer science? They
> teach you to use MSWord at university? Get your money back, you were
> cheated! Any idiot can use Word with no training. To spend money on
> learning this is nothing more than a waste.

Well, while I would agree that word isn't computer science...people
could stand to learn it properly....nearly everyone I know absolutely
mangles stuff with it, similarly with excel. Like most things, it is
easy to use badly.

Michael

--
Dr Michael A. Maibaum - (W)+1 (415) 561 1682 - (H)+1 (415) 626 6733
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <URL:http://www.gene-hacker.net/>