On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 12:09:13PM +0300, Jussi Ekholm wrote:
> Yeah, I learnt that already. :-) Now I can use M-q nicely and it does
> *just* what I want it to do, so now faaaaaar too long lines aren't a
> problem for me. Of course, it would be nice if Emacs would wrap 'em
> automagicly, but I think I'm not asking for everything and be happy with
> the bread crums I already have. O:-)

Here's one way to go into auto-fill mode whenever you fire up emacs
from mutt.  It goes into mail-mode (a major mode like text mode, but
with a few more features designed for working with email).  It also
creates a hook for mail-mode that goes into auto-fill-mode and skips
past all the headers (useful if you set edit_headers in your .muttrc).

;; Automatically go into mail-mode and auto-fill-mode if filename starts with
;; /tmp/mutt
(setq auto-mode-alist (append (list (cons "^\/tmp\/mutt" 'mail-mode))
                              auto-mode-alist))
(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'my-mail-mode-hook)

(defun my-mail-mode-hook ()
  (auto-fill-mode)
  (mail-text)
)