Hi,

* Patrick [05/16/02 17:29:54 CEST] wrote:
> * Rocco Rutte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [05-16-02 09:04]:
> > * David T-G [05/16/02 15:47:11 CEST] wrote:
> > > If you just want to relay instead of send, well, that's probably tough;
> > > that's what spammers do, and nobody likes that.  You have a Linux box
> > > with a capable sendmail; why not just send your mail?

> > ... because there're blacklist available which lots of MTAs
> > may check a sender against. In most cases mails from dial-up
> > lines are blocked; as a side effect the majority of people
> > forced to use a relay are innocent and just want to deliver
> > simple mail directly. Out there are those few bad apples which
> > run open relays so that there's much more spam going through
> > those channels instead of dial-up lines with direct delivery.

> I have sent mail directly for ~3 years from dial-up and more recently
> >from cable-access and the ONLY time I have had a problem with my posts
> being accepted was when the from_envelope did not match the "from"
> address.  I made the from_envelope match the "from" address and have
> had no more rejections.

That's another kind of check. Some mail servers also check if
the IP you try to connect from matches the DNS name of the
HELO/EHLO command and vise versa. SMTP only requires any
destination to accept any mail; futher delivery process may be
blocked by any reason.

But the point is that not all dial-up connections are in the
common blacklists while lots of them are. If you feel
confident, try to deliver an email directly to my university's
account (in From: header). A few mails I receive are simply
forwards of bounces containing the original mail which was
rejected.

> AND, both my dial-up and cable providers had smtp accounts available
> for sending mail.  Why not set sendmail to use your provider's smtp
> account??

I have to. Just because I'm too lazy to first try direct
delivery and later via relay if I received a failure notice.

Cheers, Rocco.