Rocco, et al --

...and then Rocco Rutte said...
%
% Hi,

Hello!

%
% * Steve Talley [05/16/02 21:00:35 CEST] wrote:
% > Rocco Rutte wrote:
% > > * Steve Talley [05/16/02 19:19:39 CEST] wrote:
%
% > > > This is handled by the filter_message patch, posted on 3/26.  The
% > > I don't why I've missed this one. It would really solve this problem
% > > but would break things completely up, at least in my case because my
% > > filter produces some output I really do not want to be written back
% > > to my box.

Be aware that this doesn't automatically make anything that gets processed
by $display_filter get rewritten to the mailbox; you have to specifically
filter a message, and you can use your $display_filter to do that if
it's written to handle it.

In this case, while it would be helpful, it wouldn't be transparent
because you don't know (as in my ! example previously) that the message
needs work.  You could turn off your $display_filter and then filter-edit
(as I like to call it, especially since I've forgotten the name of the
new function provided by the patch :-) the message when you see a problem,
but that's your call.

%
% > Your filter could write the unwanted output to STDERR, which is
% > displayed to the user but not included in the resulting message.
%
% Maybe I'm missing something, but in my case I saw quite a few
% problems if I don't redirect stderr to stdout. I always had to
% redraw the screen via ^L.

Yeah, stderr will hang around on your display 'cuz that likes to only
manage stdout (after all, errors are for exceptional conditions and
shouldn't be grabbed away by an app unless you really really mean it,
like when you redirect to stdout).

%
% Cheers, Rocco.

HTH & HAND