Quoting Thomas Dickey ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> the same as before: the 'screen' terminfo which has no 'bce' capability.

So, a couple of things about that, if you don't mind:

1.  Perhaps you wouldn't mind explaining the relevance.  _Is_ Background
Color Erase support in one's terminfo setup essential for screen to
correctly support X11 copy/paste (without getting spurious right-padded
spaces?  Is this a known requirement and a known failure mode in its
absence?

Please note that I've tried to research this in the docs for both screen
and mutt, and not found anything.  Is this documented somewhere, and I
just missed it?

2.  If so, why did all this use to work on default Debian (circa 2.2
release) setups, and then suddenly cease to work upon upgrading _mutt_,
at some point?  Please note that I changed no terminal settings, during
that period.  I've been using mutt under screen for many years, and all
I did was incrementally upgrade both precompiled Debian packages using
apt-get.

3.  Three days ago, when I attempted to enable BCE on someone else's
advice, you may recall that I created ~/.terminfo/s/screen as a symlink
pointing to /usr/share/terminfo/s/screen-bce .  On Debian, the latter is
itself a symlink to /etc/terminfo/s/screen-bce, a compiled terminfo
entry.  Running strings on that binary yields the following header:

   screen-bce|VT 100/ANSI X3.64 virtual terminal with bce

So, are you saying this terminfo entry purports to include BCE support
but is mistaken?  Or that terminfo is otherwise defective?  Or that
terminfo BCE support is there but screen is failing to use it, or what?

I'm asking not to be argumentative, but rather because I'm truly stumped
by this one, and am just trying to identify the culprit.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]