Quoting Aaron Schrab ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> It looks like your symlink isn't being used for some reason, is going up
> two directory levels enough?

Good point.  I was probably off by one directory level, and didn't check
my work carefully enough.  How embarrassing!  My thanks to you and
Thomas for your help.

> Perhaps you should try it out with TERM=screen-bce.

Ah, good:

I exited screen, re-enabled "defbce on" in /etc/screenrc, did "export
TERM=screen-bce", started screen.  Feh! Screen re-sets to TERM=screen.
(I'm now adding "term screen-bce", to /etc/screenrc, to fix this
prospectively.)

Inside my screen session, did "export TERM=screen-bce" again.  Started
mutt, used the internal pager, and now X11 copy/paste from the internal
pager works fine without spurious right-padded spaces.  Cool.

I do find it odd that the symptom showed up _only_ with mutt's
internal pager, and not when using "less" in its place.  But all's
well that ends well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]