* Vincent Lefevre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-07-31 17:16]:
> > > What do you mean by "documented"?
> > the manual to "muttrc" should show it.
> OK, so what happens if two Mutt binaries use different default values?

"different things"?  ;-)

> > are there any options with different defaults
> > according to configure options being used?
> The default value of dotlock_program
> depends on the configuration options.

ah, ok, good example!

> > if so then this should be documented, too.
>
> Yes, and my point was: for these options, the default value shouldn't
> be written in the manual, because it may be incorrect.

but it still does not help issuing different versions of the manual as
getting the correct manual then both depends on $PATH and $MANPATH.
and these usually do not fit well together, do they?

so the solution is:  extend the manual with more information!
eg "Default: "/path/file" (unless specified by --some-option)"

> The user should get the actual value with :set xxx=[TAB].
> And of course, this should be documented. Moreover,
> if mutt -v could give a hint, this would be useful.

absolutely!

in the above case both "mutt -v|grep =" and
":set ?dotlock_program" should show its value.

and I'd be happy to see some ordering in the version info:

  DOTLOCKPROG="/path/file"
  EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
  ISPELL="/import/gnu/bin/ispell"
  MAILPATH="/var/mail"
  SENDMAIL="/var/qmail/bin/sendmail"
  PKGDATADIR="/import/local/share/mutt"
  SYSCONFDIR="/import/local/etc"

whenever I see the options list
I think it *should* be sorted:

  Compile options:
  -DOMAIN
  -DEBUG
  -HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE
  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
  +USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  +USE_SSL  -USE_SASL
  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
  +HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
  +HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
  +HAVE_PGP  +BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  +SUN_ATTACHMENT
  +ENABLE_NLS  +LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
  +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
  +HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_GETSID  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO

having to search through this list
simply is unbearable.  bah![tm]

Sven