On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 19:36:33 +0200, Sven Guckes wrote:
> * Vincent Lefevre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-07-31 17:16]:
> > The default value of dotlock_program
> > depends on the configuration options.
>
> ah, ok, good example!

which was in my first message of this thread. :)

> but it still does not help issuing different versions of the manual as
> getting the correct manual then both depends on $PATH and $MANPATH.
> and these usually do not fit well together, do they?

Issuing different versions of the manual would be a bad idea, in
particular because the user may read the wrong version. The user
may also read an only version, and this one must be clear too.

> so the solution is:  extend the manual with more information!
> eg "Default: "/path/file" (unless specified by --some-option)"

The user doesn't necessarily know what options have been used, so this
is a bad idea to say that.

> in the above case both "mutt -v|grep =" and
> ":set ?dotlock_program" should show its value.

Yes.

> and I'd be happy to see some ordering in the version info:
>
>   DOTLOCKPROG="/path/file"
>   EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
>   ISPELL="/import/gnu/bin/ispell"
>   MAILPATH="/var/mail"
>   SENDMAIL="/var/qmail/bin/sendmail"
>   PKGDATADIR="/import/local/share/mutt"
>   SYSCONFDIR="/import/local/etc"

Good idea.

> whenever I see the options list
> I think it *should* be sorted:
>
>   Compile options:
>   -DOMAIN
>   -DEBUG
>   -HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE
>   +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
>   +USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  +USE_SSL  -USE_SASL
>   +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
>   +HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
>   +HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
>   +HAVE_PGP  +BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  +SUN_ATTACHMENT
>   +ENABLE_NLS  +LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
>   +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
>   +HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_GETSID  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
>
> having to search through this list
> simply is unbearable.  bah![tm]

I completely agree!

--
Vincent Lefèvre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International