On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 02:18:12PM +0100, Vladimir Marek wrote:
> >     mailboxes +foo +bar +stuff
> >
> > and mutt is open all the time. The last mailbox I visited is foo/. Now mail
> > arrives for all three boxes.  I'm in the message index and navigate to bar/,
> > press Return to enter the mailbox. But instead of opening bar/, I'm ending
> > up
> > in foo/, i.e. the box which (1) also has new mail and (2) was the last
> > mailbox
> > that was open.
>
> You press "c=bar" + <CR> and you end up in foo?

Hmm not exactly. I'm in foo/, read mail and go back to the message index by
pressing
`c'. I have set

    macro index,pager c "<change-folder>?<toggle-mailboxes>" \
        "open a different folder"

Now in the message index (after some time, new mail has arrived) I see that
foo/ and bar/ are flagged with 'N'.  I use the j and k keys (or <up> and
<down>) to go to bar/, press Return to enter bar/, but I end up in foo/. This
happens only if foo/ got new mail after I left it the first time.

> What underlying mail storage do you use? What mutt version?

Maildir.

    set mbox_type=Maildir
    set folder=~/Maildir
    set spoolfile=~/Maildir
    [...]
    mailboxes +foo +bar +stuff

On Debian testing:
$ mutt -v

    Mutt 1.5.17+20080114 (2008-01-14)

    [...]

    System: Linux 2.6.21 (i686)
    ncurses: ncurses 5.6.20071124 (compiled with 5.6)
    libidn: 0.6.5 (compiled with 1.1)
    hcache backend: GDBM version 1.8.3. 10/15/2002 (built Apr 24 2006 03:25:20)
    Compile options:

    [...]

    patch-1.5.13.cd.ifdef.2
    patch-1.5.13.cd.purge_message.3.4
    patch-1.5.13.nt+ab.xtitles.4
    patch-1.5.17.sidebar
    patch-1.5.4.vk.pgp_verbose_mime
    patch-1.5.6.dw.maildir-mtime.1
    patch-1.5.8.hr.sensible_browser_position.3

If it's of any importance, please note that I have the sidebar patch but I
don't use it.

I hope you can give me some hints about what I could do to find out what's
going on here as this little thing can be really annoying :) Thanks!

s.