* Jorge Luis on Friday, September 05, 2008 at 17:26:07 -0400
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008, Peter Davis wrote:
>> Thanks.  Anyone know how I configure Postfix on Mac OS X to use that server?
>
> I'm away from my Macs and unsure of paths.  On unicies:
>
> In /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>
> relayhost = [relay.pair.com]
>
> In /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd:
>
> relay.pair.com login:password
>
> Run:
>
> # postconf -m
>
> to find out what types of databases are supported by your system.  If
> you can use hash files, which is likely, (other possibilities are btree,
> dbm, and sdbm) run:
>
> # makemap hash sasl_passwd.db < sasl_passwd

hash should work fine.

> Adjust the filetype spec according to your system's capabilities.
>
> In /etc/postfix/main.cf
>
> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
>
> Set restrictive permissions on the sasl_passwd and sasl_passwd.db files.

I don't know about Leopard but on Tiger to get it actually
running as a daemon I had to override
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postfix.master.plist
with
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postfix.master.plist

$ cat /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postfix.master.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
        "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
<plist version="1.0">

<dict>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>org.postfix.master</string>
        <key>OnDemand</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Program</key>
        <string>/usr/libexec/postfix/master</string>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
                <string>master</string>
        </array>
        <key>QueueDirectories</key>
        <array>
                <string>/var/spool/postfix/maildrop</string>
        </array>
</dict>
</plist>

and then:
$ sudo launchctl stop org.postfix.master
$ sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postfix.master.plist
$ sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postfix.master.plist
$ sudo launchctl start org.postfix.master

And, as your relay server seems to do only smtp after pop, my
workaround for these kind of servers is to create a postconnect
rule in .fetchmailrc; roughly something like:

poll <account> ... postconnect '/usr/sbin/sendmail -q'

... all this just in case it doesn't work all by itself on
Leopard ;-)

  Was heißt hier Dogma, ich bin Underdogma!
[ What the hell do you mean dogma, I am underdogma. ]

_F R E E_  _V I D E O S_  -->>  http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/