On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 09:34:58PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> I don't know *authoritatively*, but I believe there are two
> answers: the first being backwards compatibility (i.e. that by
> default, mutt should behave as it always has, not suddenly start
> sticking files somewhere; that would be a privacy breach waiting
> to happen), and second being that mutt's default mode of operation
> is not remote mailbox browsing (though that's what many people
> primarily use it for), but rather local mbox or Maildir browsing.
> Mutt has so many config options, the defaults have to be geared to
> a particular use case. In this case, mutt's default use-case is
> fetching mail out of /var/spool/mail/$user and depositing it into
> some sort of ~/mail mbox. Header caching may not be much of a win,
> and message caching *certainly* isn't useful in that situation.

That mostly makes sense, but you must have *much* smaller folders
than I do; I'm doing all my mail locally, and routinely have to wait
10-30 seconds for mutt to open a folder.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something