On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 03:37:32PM -0600, lee wrote:
> > To the best of my knowledge, it isn't defined anywhere. But that doesn't
> > matter.
> > The common understanding of an attachment is that it is a file, with a
> > filename,
> > that has been sent as a separate item from the message.
>
> Well, then most people have a wrong understanding.

This is an absurdly prescriptivist statement.

> > > In Kyles example, that would be saving the html attachment to view it
> > > in a web browser. The user might do that himself, the MUA might do it
> > > automatically. If you use a MUA that cannot display text/plain, you
> > > might save the text/plain to display it ...
> >
> > This is NOT a typical use case.
>
> Why not? Mutt does it, sup does it.

Sure, many MUAs will let you do it, but it's not a typical use case.

As in, if you did a survey of all the people on the planet, and asked them if
they had ever saved the HTML component of a simple email message, I am willing
to bet the number would be under 1%.

> > The authors of the MUA.
>
> The RFC leaves it up to the user how he wants to display a (part of a)
> message. And since each user has preferences, it's not up to the
> authors of the MUA to force the user to display a message in a
> particular way or to decide what the user would consider as an
> attachment.

I never said force. I'm only talking about sane defaults.

> > And you should be free to configure your MUA to display those as
> > attachments,
> > but the way you think about message parts is uncommon, and would be
> > confusing
> > for the average user.
>
> Yeah, I configured mutt to count all attachments, but mutt doesn't do
> that. It doesn't go into some containers.
>
> Don't get me wrong: Reasonable defaults are fine and should be there,
> and since its up to each user, it doesn't matter what you or I or most
> users consider as an attachment. As you say, each user should be free
> to configure his MUA the way he wants.

Agreed.

Best,