At Sun, 19 Jul 2009 04:50:05 +0100,
Noah Slater wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 09:37:04PM -0600, lee wrote:

> > > This is an absurdly prescriptivist statement.
> >
> > I'm not sure what "prescriptivist" means.
>
> In other words, if "most people" think "attachment" means "X" then, by
> definition, attachment means "X" - regardless of your personal preference for
> what it should mean. This is how language works.

Ah, I see what you mean. But aren't RFCs prescriptive by nature? And
if they are, it's silly to say that a statement resulting of an
interpretation of an RFC is "absurdly prescriptive". --- The
interpretation can be wrong, but that's another question.

> > A simple email message doesn't have any HTML components.
>
> That depends on what you mean by "simple"

sure does

> > You probably wouldn't get any valid results from such a survey because
> > the percentage of people who wouldn't know what you're talking about
> > would be too high.
>
> I think that would probably support my thesis. Heh.

I don't see how invalid results could support a hypothesis based on
them.

If you ask 100 people the way to the museum while having a hypothesis
that you should go to the right and about 90 of them tell you that
they don't know what you're talking about, would you think that the
answer you got from those 90 people supports your hypothesis? Or would
you rather ignore their answers?