On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 06:41:51PM +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:26:57AM +0200, Rejo Zenger wrote:
>
> > No messages will be "auto deleted".
> >
> > The only thing that happens is that messages you earlier have marked as
> > "to be deleted" will be actually deleted. Or better, any changes you
> > have made to the status of the message is comitted. The behaviour
> > wouldn't be any different from exiting a mailbox or pressing "$".
> >
> > And, in the spirit of mutt, such a setting would be configurable. One
> > can turn it on or off and set the interval.
> >
> > I can't think of a reason why this would be bad (especialy if it's
> > configurable and the default is "off").
>
> There're some good reasons not to do it and "help" people by making
> it harder for them to shoot in their feet.
>
> For eexample, you tag tag delete messages and cover messages you
> didn't want, or have hooks like me that mark duplicates for duplication
> which would delete valid mail automatically if I weren't paying
> attention to them immediately. But when I have to care of the manually,
> I just do the whole syncing business myself.

Can't this easily be controlled?  set delete=ask-yes.   If that's not
enough,  it suggests that deleting messages should be abstracted from
sync-mailbox so that you can sync flags and delete messages
independently.  Loosing reply flags on e.g. support email--where you
often can't remember if you've replied b/c you don't know the person and
you're answering the same question over and over--is really a pain.

Marc