On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:11:40PM -0700, George Davidovich wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't temporarily resetting
> mutt's `sendmail' variable to a custom mailer (a variation on the OP's
> script, perhaps) take care of the replied flag issue?

No.  The sendmail thing comes too late.  We want asynchrony between the
point the user chooses to reply to some message and the point the reply
is sent.  That is, the user hits 'r' (or ...) and a new terminal pops up
running a different instance of mutt to take care of invoking $editor
and all that while the main instance returns to the index (where the
user could then spawn another reply before even finishing the first).

The way I normally work around this is to postpone drafts, go back to
the index, and go from there.  I'm sort-of time-slice multi-tasking the
reply process.  That's something computers and software are good for.

(Note that I don't want a GUI MUA -- if I did I would not be here.  I
particularly like running things in screen(1).  I solve a similar
problem with cscope by using a wrapper around my $EDITOR that spawns a
new screen to run my $EDITOR.)

(Note also that others have referred to this problem as making mutt
multi-threaded, but that's not useful unless one instance of mutt can
drive multiple ptys at once.  There's no need to make mutt MT for that
as async I/O will do.  Making mutt support multiple ptys would be nice,
but I'm sure it'd involve significant changes.)

Nico