* On 29 Aug 2010, Chip Camden wrote:

> I often find that I want to copy text from an email into another file.
> Rather than reaching for the mouse to highlight the text and then start
> my editor and paste it, I just forward the message to myself without
> actually sending it.  Since my email editor is vim, I can then yank the
> text from the almost-forwarded message and then open the other file and
> paste it.  Then quit the original file and press 'n' to avoid sending it.
> Anyone have an even easier hack?

Do you have a command-line tool that copies stdin to your pasteboard or
clipboard?  (MacOS X has pbcopy.  When I used X11, I used an Xaw program
called 'xcb' for similar purposes.  I see references to something called
'xclip', but I don't know what's current in the window managers people
use these days.)

Use that as your print command, or embed it in a macro to accomplish the
same via pipe-message or decode-copy.  In the latter approach you can
add dressing to select only the decoded message body, etc.

You likely can paste with a similar solution -- pbpaste on MacOS,
or xcb/xclip/whatever on X11. '!!pbpaste' is pretty easy vs. ':r
/tmp/some-draft-file'.

--
David Champion  *  d...@uchicago.edu  *  IT Services  *  University of Chicago