On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:38:43AM +0000, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> > Setting a ISO-8859 locale will mostly work but it's not so all
> > encompassing as using UTF-8 so if you can use UTF-8 it's better.
> > ISO-8859 character sets are basically only the 'Roman' character sets of
> > western[ish] Europe.  Using UTF-8 will show almost anything, I get to
> > see chinese spam in all its chinese glory sometimes!  :-)
>
> Out of interest Chris, do you use FreeBSD? I only ask because oddly enough i
> had better results using the ISO character sets than with UTF-8. I don't
> fully understand why and perhaps it's a BSD issue/thing. With my OpenBSD
> system i have even more trouble getting unicode characters to display
> properly.

No I don't, I use Linux (Xubuntu).  I only moved from ISO-8859 to UTF-8
a little while ago though, mainly because until a year or two go I did a
lot of work on legacy Sun systems which, as regards characters sets etc.
were back in the dark ages and for cross compatibility with them
ISO-8859 made things easier.

My basic needs are really only western European character sets (I do
actually read and write news and E-Mail in French as well as English
and read, rarely, Polish) so ISO-8859 does most of what I want.  I just
found that so much software is now defaulting to UTF-8 that it was
easier to go with that now that I don't have to deal with ancient Sun
systems.

--
Chris Green