> No I don't, I use Linux (Xubuntu).  I only moved from ISO-8859 to UTF-8
> a little while ago though, mainly because until a year or two go I did a
> lot of work on legacy Sun systems which, as regards characters sets etc.
> were back in the dark ages and for cross compatibility with them
> ISO-8859 made things easier.

> My basic needs are really only western European character sets (I do
> actually read and write news and E-Mail in French as well as English
> and read, rarely, Polish) so ISO-8859 does most of what I want.  I just
> found that so much software is now defaulting to UTF-8 that it was
> easier to go with that now that I don't have to deal with ancient Sun
> systems.

Ok thanks Chris, I see your point.

I've just checked again and for FreeBSD using the UTF-8 locale does not work
for me, especially when using mutt and reading man pages. Using the ISO
character sets and setting $LANG and $MM_CHARSET as I mentioned earlier works.

Also, on my OpenBSD system setting $LC_CTYPE to use one of the ISO character
sets works well. Setting $LC_CTYPE to UTF-8 however has very poor results. The
thread tree in mutt's index is all screwed up and the messages overlap as the
indicator moves over them. $LC_CTYPE is the only variable option available on
the default installation for localisation.

Jamie