On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 05:23:43PM -0700, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone has gotten hashcash working with Mutt.
> http://hashcash.org/mail/mua/mutt/ seems to explain a background process
> and a foreground process.
>
> The hashcash-sendmail script page (the background process) is down, and
> I can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere online, and it's not in
> Debian packages. The Perl script (the foreground process) written by Tim
> Ruddick doesn't have any documentation on how to implement it into your
> ~/.muttrc.
>
> I've got the Penny Post extension in Icedove 3.0, but apparently it
> doesn't support 3.1, which I'm sure will come down the update pipes in
> Sid soon enough. I'd rather stick with Mutt as my main MUA anyhow.
>
> So, has anyone successfully implemented Hashcash into Mutt, and if so, how?

I have made some progress, although I must do everything manually. I'm
looking to automate the process with Vim, so if someone could help me
with this, that would be awesome.

I've set "edit_headers=yes" in my ~/.muttrc so I can edit the headers
with Vim, my preferred editor. I can select a new line, then from
command mode, run "! hashcash -m resource -X -Z 2" to add the line to
the header, as I've done with this message. Then, I can continue to
compose my message, save, quit and send.

Rather than calling the external command manually, I would like to
automate the process with a macro. So, the macro should be able to parse
the "To:", "Cc:" and "Bcc:" lines, which would contain a comma-separated
list of addresses, and run the hashcash command for each address,
putting each result on its own line. I'm not sure how to handle Bcc:
addresses, so we can ignore that for the time being.

Any idea how I can create this macro? I guess asking a Vim mailing list
would be more appropriate, but I figured because I'm looking to
implement this into Mutt, it is still considered "on-topic" here.

Of course, this is only minting the appropriate tokens, and not
verifying and storing them, which is a separate issue entirely, and also
needs to be addressed (even though I doubt anyone besides me is really
interested in Hashcash for mail).

If anyone could help me with this, that would be great.

Thanks,

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o